6.05.2014

Junk in the Trunk

Life Problem


I live in Florida which automatically equals many days of sunshine and pure bliss. These days often involve random trips to the beach or picnics at a local park/nearby lake. I cannot tell you how many times I have jumped into my car and headed for the great outdoors- "must get away from it all". I reach my destination only to find that the grass is wet, birds have dookied on the picnic table, and I have no sunscreen on my face (I am pale so this is a very big deal). OH, and I have nothing to do but play with my phone. Booooooringgggg. 

Recently I vowed to stop this never ending cycle of insanity. I put my foot down and created this beaut! For now, I call it my "Junk in the Truck" car kit. Awesome, right?




Many of these items seen in this picture you probably already own. And the ones you don't, just go ahead buy. I promise you will use them- therefore this purchase is necessary. Of course, your "Junk in the Trunk" car kit might end up looking a little different than mine, but hey, we are different people- so no judging on this one. 

For Starters

You need trunk space. Not much space is needed, but a clearing off to the side would be ideal. This may mean that you carve out some time to wash and vacuum your baby. I know it's painful. But lets be real, a good wash and vacuum have been on your to-do list for a while anyways. Just do it. You too will live.

While you are suffering through the cleaning part, start thinking about where you normally find yourself on weeknights or weekends. Do you fly solo? Or normally meet up with a friend? Do you like to read? Or do you prefer a little more action? Personally, I like it all. As much as I love my friends, I also love to be alone. As much as I love to play catch, I love to read a good book. BAM! 


My Junk 

- I love the sun, however the sun does not love me. The idea of pouring warm, soupy sunscreen on my body just doesn't sit well, and I have never been one to risk storing spray bottles of any sort in a car that reaches 110 degrees in the summer. Can anyone say bang? A hat/visor and cheap pair of sunglasses will have to do!




- I can't tell you how many times I have left work on my lunch break, and am dying to walk around the lake only to realize that I'm in heels. Fail. Not any more because my extra pair of flip-flops are always to the rescue! 


- I head to the great outdoors by myself as often as I head out with someone else. It didn't seem right to just pack a book, although it was completely necessary. I wanted to make sure that I was ready for action if need be! What better than a frisbee or a flying disk? Again, Florida weather is not very wise to keep inflated balls in your trunk. Say bang again.... this is what happens when you keep a soccer ball in your trunk, in Florida, in summer. I picked this flying disk up at Target for a dollar. Yay for the dollar spot!



- Not a frisbee fan? Target was selling these adorable velcro mit and ball sets for just 4 bucks! It's perfect. You won't break any car windows or anyone's face. 







- Who likes to sit on a damp patch of grass? You wont get me or my undies! Try packing an old blanket/towel or investing in a more waterproof friendly picnic blanket. My mother-in-law gave this to me as a gift and I use it all the time! I think she actually found it at Sams Club for 15 dollars... gotta love those warehouse stores.


- What do you do with all of those extra Publix plastic bags? Recycle them of course! Right into your car kit. You never know when you're going to need a good ol' platic bag. They work well for picking up dog poop, holding wet clothes, or for putting actual trash in. I decided to keep my bags in this cute plastic container for the dollar store. I jazzed it right up with a sheet of mustache duct tape from Jo-Ann's! 





- When your at the Dollar Store next time, I would recommend picking up a few $1 picnic table cloths. No more will you have to eat on top of bird dookie. I said no more. 
**PS: they also work as great "water resistant" barriers for your old towel or blanket. 


- A few other suggestions: card games, paper towels, a craft (like knitting), a koozie, hand sanitizer, first aid kit, etc etc.   




Ok, now that you have found/purchased your items of awesomeness, you need something to contain all of it. I found this big plastic container at Target for 6 dollars. It was love at first sight! Lightweight. Flexible. Green. Two handles. Flat bottom. And most importantly, big enough to hold all my stuff! Looks like I am about to have one awesome summer... wishing you one too!








2 comments:

kcrews said...

Great post. I've passed along these ideas to my girlfriend.

Unknown said...

thanks! hope you guys enjoy a summer full of fun :)